Carey M. Leishman
Carey obtained her Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of Calgary in 2006, majoring in Political Science. She received her law degree from the University of Calgary in 2010, and was called to the Alberta Bar in 2011. Carey summered with a small firm while in law school, working in the areas of Family Law and Real Estate. After graduating from law school, Carey articled with a mid-sized firm in Calgary and spent the first two years of her career practicing in the areas of Wills and Estates, and Dependent Adult work. Carey’s prior work in Family Law led her to the practice area of Family Law in 2012. She has been practicing primarily in the area of Family Law since 2012, and is currently an associate at Kahane Law Office.
Carey is a Member of the Law Society of Alberta, and the Canadian Bar Association Family Law Section.
Carey has been actively involved with various organizations, speaking on a variety of legal topics, including:
- Presenter for Calgary Legal Guidance on Executor’s Duties and Responsibilities;
- Presenter at SAIT DAY, on Estate Planning and Incapacity;
- Presenter at various Royal Bank Branches on the new Wills and Succession Act;
- Presenter to Institute of Advanced Financial Planners on the new Wills and Succession Act;
- Presenter on Estate Planning at the Alberta Teachers’ Association seminar;
- Sessional Lecturer on Estate Planning and Administration, Chinook Learning Services, Continuing Education, 2011-2012;
- LESA Advanced Child Support Panelist – February 2016; and
- Calgary Immigrant Woman’s Association Volunteer providing pro-bono legal advice.
Carey has a variety of interests including hiking, traveling and wine tasting.