Calgary Divorce Attorney Help
When you have an interview with divorce attorneys there are several things that you need to remember to bring. In most cases, clients are interested in keeping their costs down when dealing with divorce attorneys. The only “cheap” divorce is when everything is 100% agreed upon by both parties. Being organized and prepared is the best way to do this. The divorce attorneys at Kahane Law Office in Calgary are respectful of your need to keep costs manageable. Call now 403-225-8810.
How Divorce Attorneys Bill their Fees
Divorce Attorneys bill their fees based on time. This means the more time divorce attorneys spend working on your file, the more it will cost. These hints apply to dealing with all professionals who bill hourly.
How to Keep Divorce Attorneys Fees Cheaper
Here are a number of things you should consider in keeping your divorce attorneys fees down. The way of doing this is coming to a quick and easy agreement with your spouse. In reality, that is not always possible. These suggestions are for all divorce situations.
Limit Your Emails and Phone Calls
Many people will call divorce attorneys several times a day. Consider drafting one email with all your questions. Keep your questions brief and to the point. Our divorce attorneys are there for you when you need them, however this is meant to keep your cost lower.
Be prepared for your meeting
Similarly to going to your accountant, when you meet with your divorce attorney, you will keep your costs down if you are prepared and organized. When you come to your meeting in our Calgary law office please have the following:
Here is what you will need to bring to your first meeting:
- In divorce we will always need an original marriage certificate.
- A recent photo of your spouse. This is for service of the statement of claim for divorce. There can be other people in the photo but it has to be clear and your spouse has to be recognizable.
- Any previous court orders.
- Any previous marriage agreements such as separation agreements, cohabitation agreements pr prenuptial agreements.
- Income information regarding both you and your spouse. (Income, assets and debts.)
Documents to bring divorce attorneys
Both parties to a divorce have to disclose all financial matters to the other party. Divorce attorneys and the courts in Calgary may require more but the starting point is the following documents. These will be required for divorce, any divorce related agreements or independent legal advice.
- Your most recent Notices of Assessments and tax returns (for the last three years);
- Your most recent financial statements regarding businesses where either party has more than 1% interest (for last three years);
- Your most resent pay stubs (for last three years);
- Your most recent bank statements. Bring the last 6 months worth for all bank accounts including business, personal and joint;
- Your most recent credit card statements. Try to bring last 6 months worth for all credit cards including business, personal and joint;
- Statements for any investments and debts (last 6 months);
- Pension statements (last 6 months);
- list of expenses related to childcare, health related, schools (elementary and post-secondary) and extracurricular expenses;
- A household monthly budget based on the last 6 months.
- A list of all property you and your spouse owned before the marriage, inherited before or during the marriage, or was received as a gift or personal injury insurance to one party.
Alternative Divorce Attorney Billing
We offer flat rate fees on some services offered by our Calgary divorce attorneys. Click here to see our Flat rate fees.
Why Kahane Law Divorce Attorneys
As a firm we pride ourselves on exceptional service. That is easy to say and more difficult to prove. In 2013 we were recognized by the Top Choice Awards as the Top Family Law Firm of 2013 in Calgary. We serve clients at both the Provincial Family Court level and well as the Court of Queen’s Bench: Family Law Division.
To schedule a consultation with one of our divorce attorneys to discuss your family law entitlements and obligations, please contact our experienced Calgary office team at Kahane Law Office. You can reach us toll-free at 1-877-225-8817, or 403-225-8810 locally.
email us directly here.