Title Transfers For Land & Homes
The cost of transferring land title in Alberta is set by the Land Titles Act and charged by the Alberta Land Titles Office. Transferring a name on title is also referred to as changing names on title. It is also called property name transfers. This process is not about if you have changed your name and just need to update your name on title. For example, if a person gets married or divorced and wants to update their own name on title. The process for updating a name on title is much less expensive as their are greatly reduced land title fees. In Calgary call 403-225-8810.
How is Changing A Name On Title Different Than Buying Or Selling Land
Changing a name on title or just transferring land in Alberta is different than the process of buying and/or selling land. Buying and selling land usually involves a new mortgage, transferring funds, adjustments (for taxes, homeowner fees, condo fees, etc), discharging mortgages, dealing with real property reports, estoppel certificates and also includes changing the name on title. A transfer of title or just changing a name on title usually involves a transfer between friends or family members with no exchange of money. It may be to remove a co-signer, parent, child, or spouse from title.
What Is Included In Our Flat Rate Land Transfer Fees
At Kahane Law Office we are dedicated to bringing you reasonable flat rate fees. Our flat rate fee for transferring land title in Alberta covers the cost of:
- Drafting the Land Title Transfer of Land
- Drafting Affidavit of Value for Land Titles fees
- Drafting of Affidavit of Execution for Transfer of Land
- Witnessing and Commissioning the transfer of land when signed in our Calgary office. (If signing out of Calgary, expect a fee of about $50 for this)
- Dower consent document and signing on transfer of land (if needed)
- All couriers to and from the Land Titles Office
- All registration fees for the cost of transferring land title in Alberta
- Emailing or regular mailing of a copy of land title once transfer is registered.
Cost of Transferring Land Title In Alberta
As the cost of transferring land title in Alberta is based on the value of the property, the following table breaks down the fees for land title transfers.
|Home Value||Title Transfer Fee|
|$199,999 and under||$399.00 + GST|
|$200,000 – $399,999||$449.00 + GST|
|$400,000 – $599,999||$499.00 + GST|
|$600,000 – $799,999||$549.00 + GST|
|$800,000 – $1,000,000||$599.00 + GST|
What Is Not Included In The Cost Of Changing Names On Title
The cost of transferring land title in Alberta can increase in some situations. Please call and we can confirm if there are any additional fees. Some examples of situations that would increase the cost of transferring land in Alberta include:
- Transferring land of a person who does not have mental capacity
- Transferring land of a deceased person where probate has not been granted
- Transferring property where spousal consent is required but not given
- Cost of signing documents outside our office
- Sales or Purchases of land
- Tax planning, tax advice, matrimonial advice, etc.
- Corporate transfers (if corporate searches and/or resolutions are required)
Cost of Adding or Removing A Name From Title in Alberta
The cost of removing a name from the title to your property in Alberta is the same as adding or changing a name. The land title costs for transferring land in Alberta is the same for changing names, removing names or adding names. There is no increased cost with adding, changing or removing multiple names in a single transfer of land.
Important Reminder If Changing Names On Property in Alberta
Most mortgage companies have a “due on sale” clause in their mortgage. If you have a mortgage and want to change a name on the property tiles, then it is important to get permission from your lender first. If you fail to do this, your lender may attempt to call in their mortgage loan.
Land Title Name Change Lawyers In Calgary
The Lawyers at Kahane Law Office can help with your land title related legal needs. CONNECT NOW. We can be reached toll-free at 1-877-225-8817 (or 403-225-8810 locally in Calgary, Alberta), or email us directly here.