Employment & Commercial Litigation Lawyer
Assistant to Vik Mall
Litigation Legal Assistant
Vik is a trusted advisor and experienced employment and commercial litigator. His employment practice encompasses representing both employees and employers on a broad range of aspects including constructive/wrongful dismissal claims, workplace investigations, human rights issues and complaints, privacy related matters under Alberta and Federal privacy legislation, occupational health and safety matters and complaints, wrongful competition matters, and urgent injunctive relief applications. He also assists his employer clients with the development and implementation of employment agreements and policies in the workplace.
Vik’s commercial litigation practice includes a wide variety of matters involving breach of contract disputes, real estate disputes, business and shareholder disputes, and construction disputes. He advises his clients in all aspects of a dispute, including important economic and legal realities to be aware of, and is experienced in managing parties on all sides. He is also well-versed in negotiating early resolutions and solving complex disputes effectively and within legal budgets.
Vik has appeared before all levels of court in the Province of Alberta and has represented his clients in disputes before the Federal Court of Canada. He is experienced in trial, appellate and arbitral work. He has successfully acted in multiple complex Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench trials. He has also built specific experience in appellate advocacy and successfully appeared before the Alberta Court of Appeal on several matters.
Clients highly recommend Vik, giving him a “Platinum” rating of 5 out of 5 on Martindale-Hubbell.com and Lawyers.com, their highest client rating available.
In addition to practicing law, Vik is actively involved in the Calgary community and has volunteered with several organizations. Currently, he contributes his time to Pro Bono Law Alberta and the Harry Schaefer Mentorship Program at Mount Royal University.
Notable Reported Decisions
- 2020 ABCA 246 – Co-counsel in the successful representation of the respondent in an appeal before the Alberta Court of Appeal concerning the determination of child support in a shared parenting regime
- 2019 ABQB 734 – Co-counsel in a three-week trial of a novel negligence claim. Vik successfully advocated before the Alberta Court of King’s Bench to create a new duty of care in Alberta by the Calgary Police Services
- 2018 ABCA 22 – Successfully represented the respondent in an appeal before the Alberta Court of Appeal concerning a rural land purchase agreement
- 2017 ABQB 541 – Co-counsel at trial in the successful defence of an employer from a wrongful dismissal action
- 2017 ABQB 300 – Co-counsel at trial in the successful defence of rural purchasers from allegations that the subject sale was invalid on the grounds of unconscionability or undue influence
- 2017 ABPC 94 – Successfully represented the plaintiff on a summary judgment application in the Alberta Court of Justice
- 2016 ABCA 134 – Co-counsel in the successful representation of the respondent in an appeal before the Alberta Court of Appeal concerning an option to purchase and a right of refusal agreement for farmland
- University of Calgary, J.D., 2013
- University of Lethbridge, B.Mgmt. (with great distinction), 2009
- Mount Royal University, Diploma in Business Administration, 2007