Vik is an experienced litigator and his practice encompasses a broad range of focus areas including commercial, employment, real estate and construction matters. He advises his clients in all aspects of a dispute and is experienced in managing parties on all sides.
Vik has appeared before all levels of court in the Province of Alberta. He has also successfully acted in multiple complex Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench trials. In addition, he has gained in-depth knowledge and built specific experience in appellate advocacy. He has also successfully appeared before the Alberta Court of Appeal on several matters.
In addition to practicing law, Vik is actively involved in the Calgary community and has volunteered with a number of organizations. Currently, he contributes his time to Pro Bono Law Alberta and the Harry Schaefer Mentorship Program at Mount Royal University.
- University of Calgary, J.D., 2013
- University of Lethbridge, B.Mgmt. (with great distinction), 2009
- Mount Royal University, Diploma in Business Administration, 2007
Notable Reported Decisions
- MacDonald v Brodoff, 2020 ABCA 246 – Co-counsel in the successful representation of the respondent in an appeal before the Alberta Court of Appeal concerning the determination of child support in a shared parenting regime
- Annett v. Enterprise Rent-A-Car Canada Ltd., 2019 ABQB 716 – Co-counsel in a three-week trial of a novel negligence claim against the Calgary Police Services
- Burby v. Ball, 2018 ABCA 22 – Successfully represented the respondent in an appeal before the Alberta Court of Appeal concerning a rural land purchase agreement
- Watkins v. Willow Park Golf Course Ltd., 2017 ABQB 541 – Co-counsel at trial in the successful defence of an employer from a wrongful dismissal action
- Burby v. Ball, 2017 ABQB 300 – Co-counsel at trial in the successful defence of rural purchasers from allegations that the subject sale was invalid on the grounds of unconscionability or undue influence
- L III Inc. (Consumer Auto Liquidators Inc.) v. Van Der Vegte, 2017 ABPC 94 – Successfully represented the plaintiff on a summary judgment application
- Rowland v. Rowland, 2016 ABCA 134 – Co-counsel in the successful representation of the respondent in an appeal before the Alberta Court of Appeal concerning an option to purchase and a right of refusal agreement for farmland