Sponsoring Parents & Grandparents To Come To Canada

parents, grandparents, children, family, kids, children, immigration, sponsor, sponsorship, permanent residence, family class

Sponsoring Parents & Grandparents to Come to Canada

Beginning on January 2, 2019, sponsoring grandparents or parents becomes easier. A new system and form gives the option to indicate a person’s willingness to sponsor a parent or grandparent by filling out an “interest-to-sponsor” form online.  The old system of randomly selecting people from a list for sponsorship will be replaced for a system where potential sponsors will be invited to apply based on the order in which the “interest-to-sponsor” forms are received until the 20,000 cap is reached. All the immigration lawyers at Kahane Law Office want to help you. Know, as you read more, that we are always able to set up an immigration consultation to help you understand the process, figure out your next step and with all applications.

How Do I Sponsor My Parent(s) Or Grandparent(s)?

The first step in sponsoring grandparents or parents is to complete an online form. The form is called an “Interest- to-sponsor” form. The form for sponsoring grandparents will be available until February 1, 2019. Most importantly, as this new system prioritizes applicants on a “first to come, first served” basis, it is critical that you fill out this form as soon as it becomes available online.

Required Information For The “Interest-to-sponsor” Form

Individuals thinking of sponsoring grandparents or parents must provide the following information on the Interest To Sponsor form:

  • Last name(s);
  • Given name(s);
  • Date of birth;
  • Country or territory of birth;
  • Home address; and lastly
  • Email address.

Next Step To Sponsoring Grandparents or Parents

If you are one the first 20,000 applicants, you should receive a letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) inviting you to apply and file an application to sponsor your parent(s) and grandparent(s). This invitation letter is critical to sponsoring grandparents or parents to immigrate to Canada. After that, the path is open to bring them to Canada. As a result, you want to submit the interest to sponsor form as soon as possible.

Who Can Sponsor Parent(s) or Grandparent(s)?

Sponsoring grandparents or parents requires responsibility. Consequently, in order to sponsor your parent(s) and grandparent(s), you must be:

  • 18 years of age or older;
  • a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or registered Indian;
  • live in Canada
  • be sponsoring a member of the family class;
  • sign an undertaking promising to provide basic requirements for the person being sponsored;
  • prove that you have sufficient income to provide the basic requirements for your family members in Canada as well as the person included in your sponsorship undertaking; and lastly;
  • sign an agreement with the parent(s) or grandparent(s) you are sponsoring that confirms that each of you understand your mutual obligations and responsibilities.

People Barred From Sponsoring Grandparents Or Parents

Likewise, specific groups of people cannot sponsor parents or grandparents to Canada. To clarify, these include people:

  • incarcerated in prison;
  • in arrears with regards to immigration loans;
  • bankrupt and remain unreleased from bankruptcy;
  • receiving government financial support except for those receiving support for a disability;
  • in arrears or late in making court ordered payments (for example, this includes child or spousal support);
  • who failed to financially support a previously sponsored person;
  • convicted of violent crime(s), any sexual offence, or any crime against a family member (there are some exceptions so book an immigration consultation to check on your status.);  or
  • who are caught under other items not listed. In other words, there are more rules. Here is a link to more rules regarding sponsorship eligibility.

Immigration Sponsors’ Responsibilities?

Specific responsibilities exist for sponsors, therefore, when you sponsor your parent(s) or grandparent(s) to become permanent residents of Canada, you must:

  • Meet certain income requirement;
  • Support your parent(s) and grandparent(s); and
  • You and the sponsored parent(s) or grandparent(s) must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for a period of 20 years beginning on the date the sponsored parent(s) or grandparent(s) become permanent resident.

What Is The “Minimum Necessary Income” For Sponsoring Grandparents?

Sponsoring someone to immigrate to Canada has a financial responsibility component. Therefore, there is a minimum necessary income for people sponsoring grandparents or parents. The “Minimum Necessary Income” varies depending on the size of the family unit. It is important to note that you must meet the “Minimum Necessary Income” for each of the three consecutive taxation years preceding the date on which the application is submitted.

The “Minimum Necessary Income” is based on the Low Income Cut-offs (LICO) plus 30%. In other words, to determine if you meet the “Minimum Necessary Income”, you must calculate the minimum LICO income corresponding to the size of your family unit and add 30%.

For instance, as of 2018, a family of 4 persons should demonstrate a minimum income of $58,768 in 2016 and $59,426.

How To Calculate The Size Of A Family Unit?

  1. Count yourself, your spouse or common law partner and your dependent children;
  2. Add in the number of persons you are now sponsoring
  3. The include the number of persons covered by other valid undertaking you have made or co-signed in the past.
  4. If you have a co-signer, count all the persons covered by still valid undertaking made or co-signed by your co-signer
  5. Calculate the number of persons covered in step 1 to 4. The total represents the family size.

Then look at the Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents.

What If I Do Not Meet The “Minimum Necessary Income”?

Ways exist to increase your income for applications, For instance, your spouse or common-law partner may help you meet the “Minimum Necessary Income” by co-signing the sponsorship application.  Consequently, the co-signer must meet the same eligibility requirements as the sponsor, agree to co-sign the undertaking and be responsible for the basic requirements of the parent(s) or grandparent(s) for the validity period of the undertaking.

Immigration Lawyers To Help Sponsor Parents & Grandparents

The immigration lawyers at Kahane Law Office, happily help clients with sponsoring grandparents and parents to immigrate to Canada. We help you to determine whether you are eligible to be a sponsor. Alternatively, we help you determine whether you meet the ““Minimum Necessary Income” required to become a sponsor.

Most importantly, if you are one 20,000 persons to receive a letter from IRCC inviting you to file an application, we assist you complete and file the application correctly and on time.  Above all, you do not want to miss the opportunity to sponsor your parents or grandparents to immigrate to Canada.

Above all, if you need help we are here. CONNECT NOW to get the assistance you need. Reach us toll-free at 1-877-225-8817 (or 403-225-8810 locally in the Calgary, Alberta area or (780) 571-8463 locally in teh Edmonton, Alberta area), but email is often faster, and it allows you to give us some basic information about your situation so email us directly here.