Does President Trump’s Immigration Executive Order Have Canada Trump’ed?


Canada immigration; help getting into US; new law; Donald Trump; United States immigration law

Immigration post-Donald Trump

On January 27th, 2017 THE EXECUTIVE ORDER PROTECTING THE NATION FROM FOREIGN TERRORIST ENTRY INTO THE UNITED STATES came into force. Informally it’s called, the Executive Order on Immigration. As a result citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen are not permitted to enter the USA for a period of 90 days from the issuance of the order. The US Refugee Admissions Program has been suspended for a period of 120 days. Furthermore, there is an indefinite suspension on Syrian Refugees.

Time may be of the essence. We can help with the immediate help of a Canadian Immigration Lawyer.

What The Travel Ban Means To Canadians and Canadian Permanent Residents?

Canadian Citizens, who are holders of the dual citizenship to the seven (7) temporarily-barred countries, have been assured that they should not be affected the Executive Order on Immigration.

Canadian Permanent Residents with a valid Permanent Resident Card and a holder of a valid passport bearing citizenship for one of the seven countries may still enter the USA; provided that they already have a valid visa to enter the USA.

What if You Have a Visa to Enter the USA and are a Citizen of a Temporarily-Barred Country?

If you are a citizen or a dual citizen of the following seven (7) countries there is a 90 day bar for entry into the USA: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

If you are outside of the USA, you will not be permitted to travel to the USA on your issued visa.

If you are in the USA, you may be detained and removed on arrival. Currently, US Federal Judge Ann M. Donnelly has temporarily blocked a portion of The Executive Order citing that citizens of the seven (7) temporarily-banned countries who’ve lawfully entered the USA could not be removed from the USA.

There is a motion to block a portion of The Executive Order. Of course, nothing will change until there is a change in US law.

What is Canada Doing to Help Non-Canadians in Canada?

The Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship has issued a public policy, effective immediately, which assists those who are stranded or impacted while in Canada.

Individuals in Canada who have made travel arrangements to enter the United States and who have the documents normally required to enter the USA, but who cannot travel to the USA due to the Executive Order on Immigration, can apply for temporary status in Canada, or apply to have their current temporary status extended.

What Does this Mean at Canada’s Ports of Entry?

If you are traveling to Canada with the intention on visiting prior to traveling to the USA or are a person who is in-transit to the USA you may be eligible to make an application to remain in Canada as a visitor if:

  • You have the documents normally required to enter the U.S. & Canada; and
  • Are a citizen of one of the temporarily-banned seven countries.

If you are a holder of a VH-1 – also known as an in transit visa- for Canada, and are now stranded. You may be eligible to apply for a fee exempted temporary resident permit to remain in Canada temporarily.

If you are an eligible participant of the Transit Without A Visa (TWOV) Program; and are a dual citizen of one of the temporarily banned countries affected by the referenced Executive Order on Immigration, you may be eligible to apply for a temporary resident permit to remain in Canada temporarily.

What does this mean if I am already in Canada?

If you are currently in Canada, you may make an application to temporarily stay in Canada to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta. You may request to stay in Canada as a visitor or submit an application to extend your stay in Canada.

Our immigration team can help you through this process in Canada.

How the Immigration Law Team at Kahane Law Can Help?

Let us assist you with navigating the intricacies of Canadian Immigration laws and have us assist you in the nuances of the applying for your temporary stay in Canada.
Don’t take chances at Canada’s Ports of Entry! Let us help you in drafting documentation to present to Border Services Officers with Canada Border Services Agency. We can prepare documentation to assist in the facilitation of your entry to Canada, through the processing of a Temporary Resident Permit.
If you’re feeling like you’re stranded, do not hesitate to contact our team and seek our services in obtaining a consultation. Don’t feel overwhelmed with your circumstances. The Immigration Team at Kahane Law Office is here to help you to understand the options available for either permanent or temporary stay in Canada.

Are you currently detained at one of Canada’s ports of entry?

Have you been detained at a Canadian port of entry? Do you know someone who is currently being detained on entry to Canada? We have a legal team eager to assist in arguing against the grounds for detention before the Immigration Division.

Are you at a port of entry and a Section 44 report (inadmissibility report) has been written against you for an inadmissibility you don’t understand? Is the process beyond your understanding? Are they telling you that you could be removed from Canada by issuances of an Exclusion or Deportation Order? We at the Kahane Law Office are able to represent you and assist with acting on your behalf to ensure that you are afforded procedural fairness. Let us navigate the legislation and your right to understanding the levity of the proceedings before you.

Need Canadian Immigration Help?

Contact the experienced team at Kahane Law Immigration Legal Services call 403-225-8810 locally in Calgary, Alberta or from Anywhere in Canada or aboard toll-free at 1-877-225-8817 or email us directly here.

Note: The advice and information provided in this article is intended as a general reference. Please seek-out personalized advice from our experts.